Chocolate and nuts are two of my favourite things. This is a recipe I often make after Christmas when nuts are on sale at a reduced price. It tastes like a hazelnut spread even when it is made with peanuts. I like to make this as I know exactly what it is in it and it makes a big jar and so often works out cheaper than buying a brand of hazelnut spread. If you just want to make peanut butter you can just miss out the cocoa and the icing sugar.
300g roasted salted peanuts (I rinse half of them and pat them dry to get rid of some of the salt) or 300g roasted hazelnuts and a big pinch of salt.
45g cocoa powder
170g icing (powdered) sugar
2 Tbsp of peanut or vegetable oil (plus more if needed to get the consistency you want)
- In a high powered blender put the peanuts in the bowl and process for 1 minute.
- Scrape the bowl down with a spatula and process for another 3 mins. I added a tsp of oil at this time to help them blend.
- Add the oil, the cocoa and the icing sugar and process for another few minutes until blended and shiny.
- If the mixture is too thick for spreading add some more oil a tsp at a time.
- Transfer to a clean jam jar or clean tub.
- This will keep in the fridge for a month
- If it starts to separate whilst storing it will be fine if you just give it a stir.