The picture isn’t very good as I forgot to take a photo before we had eaten most of it, but this is a lovely, simple way to make a different chicken meal for a change of flavour. I made it for a family meal recently and the chicken is really soft and tasty and every one really enjoyed it. It isn’t a particularly frugal meal but we like it as a treat.
Chicken pieces enough for 4 people (you can use legs or breasts. I used 2 large chicken breasts cut in large pieces)
120g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
240ml of fresh orange juice
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp white wine vinegar (though any white vinegar will do)
1 can peach slices (about 400g), drained (I always take 4 slices out to use for a couple of mini trifles later).
- In a bowl combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Remove the chicken and place in an oven proof dish.
- discard any excess fat from the dish and pour a splash of your orange juice into the pan to deglaze it and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour over the chicken in the dish.
- In a bowl put the rest of the orange juice, the honey and the vinegar and mix and then pour over the chicken.
- Cover the dish with a lid or foil and cook in 160C fan oven for 40 mins.
- Take out of the oven and add the drained peaches.
- Take off the foil or lid and cook in the oven for 10 more minutes.
I served with homegrown new potatoes and veg. There isn’t a lot of sauce and so I don’t usually serve with rice or pasta unless I make them into a side dish. I tend to put this in the oven when I am baking other things and so I haven’t tried it in the air fryer or a slow cooker yet . 😋