I’ve noticed that my legs are getting stiffer and I am walking like John Wayne when I first get out of bed, or stand up from my chair. I am neglecting my daily long walks. My excuse is that I have so much to do, but in reality I could fit it in if I had a mind to. It is madness as I know the physical and mental benefits of walking .I usually do over 70,000 steps a week but it has only been averaging about 58,000 this last couple of weeks. I am reminding myself of the benefits of walking to motivate myself. I might even have to treat myself like a kid and resort to a star chart!
The benefits are as follows
- It strengthens your bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- It helps with reducing weight or to keep it steady.
- It lowers the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and colon cancer.
- It helps reduce blood pressure.
- It keeps your joints flexible.
- It reduces depression and anxiety.
- It increases your stamina and improves your energy levels.
- It improves balance and coordination.
- It helps you to interact socially and gets you out of the house.
- It gives you a sense of achievement when your watch or app buzzes and tells you that you have done your steps for the day.