This recipe is great for using up leftovers or wilting vegetables in the fridge (fridge gravel). If you have cooked vegetables left from a meal you can add that to left over mash and add some parmesan, or chopped bits of cooked bacon, or spices, or anything you want. I made it with sad vegetables that were past their best from the fridge.
900g potatoes (I used 3 medium ones) or left-over mash
Vegetables of your choice (I grated one carrot, grated some courgette, diced half a red pepper, diced 4 inches of a leek, cut up some bits of broccoli and crushed two cloves of garlic)
Panko breadcrumbs or two crusts of bread
A handful of flour
- Make the panko breadcrumbs, if you need to, by toasting the bread well and whizzing up (or grating)
- Peel the potatoes and boil until soft (if you do not have any leftovers).
- Mash the potatoes (you can add butter and milk if you have them.)
- While the potatoes are cooking saute the vegetables. I start in a bit of oil and then add a couple of splashes of water to cook. This stops them burning and saves money on oil. Cook until soft and water has evaporated.
- Mix the potato and the vegetables together. Add salt.
- When the potato has cooled enough to handle make into sausage shapes.
- Put the egg in to a bowl and whisk.
- Put the panko breadcrumbs and the flour in to separate bowls.
- Dip the sausage shape into the flour, into the egg and then into the panko breadcrumbs to cover.
- Airfry, deep fry or bake them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes and turn and cook until golden brown.
We like picky lunches and serve these with a spicy tomato dip. This morning we had them for breakfast with a bit of bacon and beans, or I will serve them with grilled meat and salad. They do step up a notch by adding parmesan cheese to the potato mix, or by cooking the veg with a bit of chorizo and adding smoked paprika. You can use any vegetables, eg mushrooms, spring onions, cauliflower etc, as long as it is cooked. 😋. These might be good for children too.
They are going to become a staple in our home now to use up sad vegetables, and I might try adding different spices like chilli or curry. 😋.