I often have to make my toad in the hole with only 4 sausages. This is to save money but also to reduce the amount of meat we eat for health reasons. I therefore enhance my flavours in other ways by adding herbs and caramelised onion. This recipe makes enough for 3 to 4 people
4 fresh eggs, measured in a jug
Equal quantity of milk to eggs
Equal amount of flour to eggs
Teaspoon of mixed herbs
Pinch of salt.
I red onion, sliced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Oil for cooking.
- Mix the eggs, milk, herbs, salt and flour together with a stick blender or electric whisk to incorporate as much air into it as possible. Mix for 5 mins. Put to one side for at least half an hour, linger if possible.
- Saute the in the onion in a little oil, add the sugar and let it melt and stir and then add the red wine vinegar. Keep stirring on a low heat, the pan will go brown and so keep incorporating the brown into the onion as this is what gives it extra taste. Place to one side.
- Brown the sausages in a little oil in a frying pan.
- Put some oil in the bottom of the tin and heat up in the oven or air fryer.
- Chop the sausages up and distribute them evenly in the bottom of the tin. Dot the onion in between the sausages. Pour on the batter after giving it a quick mix.
- Cook in the oven at 200⁰C for about 20 mins or bake in the air fryer for about 14 mins, or until golden brown.