I have just been making some food for a friend who is ill. Although I could easily buy things from the supermarket I wanted to bake and make things, as the effort is me showing that I care. It got me thinking about how we use food to show we care in relationships and the fact that food is increasing in price so quickly is making that hard. Here are some ways just off the top of my head that we show we love or care about someone using food.
- Taking a casserole round to a friend or neighbour when they are ill or going through a difficult time, like a bereavement.
- Making a family meal to get everyone together on special occasions.
- Making a romantic meal or date meal.
- Inviting new friends for lunch or coffee and cake.
- Making food presents at Christmas
- Taking baked goods to work or round to a friend.
- Sharing foraged or grown food like blackberries or strawberries.
- Taking ice cream round to a friend suffering from a broken heart.
- Throwing a party or BBQ
- Sneaking some treats to the pet
- Making a special cake for someone gluten intolerant
- Baking with the grand kids
- Sharing secret recipes
- Waiting for someone to get home first before you eat your meal
- Giving someone else the biggest portion.
- Making a birthday cake.
- Making someone’s favourite meal.
- Making wedding favours for a friend
I hadn’t realised that I used food to express ‘caring’ so much, and these are just what I thought of in a couple of minutes. Maybe we will have to find a new way to show we care soon. Do you show you care through food?