I love being creative. and always have. Many studies show that being creative is good for us. I try to be creative every day as it helps my mental health. It might be baking, taking photos, writing my blog, making the pictures for my blog, or just doodling. It doesn’t have to be a big project like a painting, or writing a book. Here are some ways that your life might be improved by taking part in creative activities.
- Creativity can be a social activity that you can share and engage in with others. There are lots of ‘knit and natter’ groups springing up, writing groups and other local creative groups if you search for them
- Being creative helps focus the mind. It has a calming effect on the mind and the body in the same way as meditation does, and can help with stress, depression and anxiety.
- It can help you deal with trauma. Emotions can be expressed through writing, painting, sculpture, music or other mediums in a positive way. I used to write poetry as a child to express my emotions.
- It can help you feel happier. Studies have shown that dopamine floods the brain when we are being creativity which makes us feel good.
- It can improve your memory and brain function, especially music and writing.
- Creativity can improve our self esteem and be an outlet to express parts of ourselves that we hide for fear of being rejected. My blogs definitely help me express myself and be myself.
- It can help us escape if life feels dull and boring, or if we have worries. We can lose ourselves in music, dance or a written fantasy. As a child I would get lost in dance and felt like I was a completely different person.
- It can be help us improve our environment and save us money. I up – cycled lots of charity shop furniture when I first became a single parent and had no money. It distracted me from my worries at the same time.
Does anyone else enjoy being creative? How do you express your creativity and how does it help you?