We first made these last year to use up some of the Christmas vegetables that were wilting in the fridge. I usually put this mixture in our Cornish pasties, but decided to put them in pies instead as you get more filling in them and I think that they are nicer to eat for a meal at home. It is a good recipe for stretching out a bit of mince to make a meal for the whole family.
8oz short crust pastry
1/4 of a swede
6oz minced beef
Plenty of white pepper.
Pinch of salt.
1. Chop the onion finely and fry with the mince, adding a pinch of salt.
2. When the mince is brown add a tsp of Worcester sauce and half a teaspoon of mixed herbs, and a shake of white pepper.
2. Peel and cut the carrots, potatoes and swede into small cubes and microwave with a splash of water for 5 minutes.
3. Add to the mince and mix and add another good shake of white pepper.
4. Roll out the pastry and either line a large pie dish, or 4 small ones.
5 Fill the pies and then wet the edge with water and place pie tops on and seal. Pierce a small hole in the top.
6. Brush with milk or egg wash.
7. Cook at 200⁰C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
These are really nice warm but we take them on our trips away and eat them cold some times.