I made some beetroot burgers the other day. We are eating more vegan and vegetarian food to save money and hopefully to be more healthy. I don’t like the taste of beetroot but Mr S loves it. I can just aboutmanage it if it is in a chocolate cake.
. We always have those cooked vacuum packets of beetroot in the fridge during the winter as I know how good beetroot is for you. I also had been gifted some tinned butter beans over a year ago and don’t like them and so this seemed the perfect recipe.
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 red onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, chopped
4 cooked beetroot
75g of rolled oats
400g tinned butter beans
1. Heat a tsp olive oil in a pan and then add the spices and cook for a minute.
2. Add the onion and the garlic and gently cook for another 4 minutes or until soft.
3. Put the beetroot and all the ingredients into a food processor, including the spiced onion mixture.
Whiz until we’ll combined.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Shape into 4 patties and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. We have a burger press that we got for Christmas.
6. I cooked mine at 180⁰Ç in the air fryer for 10 mins but you can cook them in the oven on a baking tray for 25 minutes until firm.
I have a meat thermometer and tell if things are cooked in the air fryer by probing them. I always make sure that they are 75C or over.
I expected to hate these but you couldn’t taste the beetroot and they were quite nice. My friend said she makes a similar mixture but uses different beans. The texture inside was a bit soft and maybe I might try cooking them a bit longer, (though maybe this is normal as a lot of the veggie burgers I have had have seemed a lot softer than a meat burger). I will definitely make them again this summer when we have beetroot in the garden.